1 tube of Jimmy Dean sage sausage
1/2 cup white onion, chopped
1 crushed garlic clove
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 tablespoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon salt
1 15-ounce can pumpkin puree (or 2 cups)
1 can full-fat coconut milk
2 cups vegetable stock
1-2 limes (for juice)
3 cups of spinach
2 cups of frozen broccoli and cauliflower florets
½ cup of sliced carrots
fresh cilantro for topping
1. Heat whole tube of jimmy dean sausage in a heavy bottom pot over medium heat. Once the meat begins to brown, add the onion. Cook until very soft and translucent.
2. Add the garlic, and cayenne pepper. Stir and cook until fragrant, constantly stirring.
3. Add the spices (turmeric, salt) and pumpkin and cook another minute.
4. Stir in the coconut milk, vegetable stock, and lime juice. Bring the mixture to a simmer.
5. Stir in the frozen broccoli and cauliflower florets. Then stir in carrots. 6. Cover and let the soup cook and veggies soften for 15 minutes.
7. Stir in the spinach and cook uncovered an additional 5 minutes.
8. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Serve in a bowl and garnish with cilantro.
Recipe submitted by Katie Seaton, Carpe Diem Nutrition Intern